AL-SAMRA WASTEWATER TREATMENT PLANT

Al-Samra Wastewater Treatment Plant:

 

Affiliates: Ondeo-Degramont
Location: Zarqa, JORDAN
Service Provided: EIA, Design and Supervision

 

The Samra wastewater treatment plant (WWTP) was built to replace the old, overloaded Samra Wastewater Stabilisation Ponds (WSP). The facility is acknowledged for being one of the first projects in Jordan to be built under a build, operate, and transfer (BOT) basis and one of the first to receive a grant from USAID. With a peak flow of 840,000m³ each day, the facility treats an average flow of 267,000m³ of wastewater, serving a population of 2.2 million living in the Greater Amman and Zarqa areas.

The As-Samra WWTP was built to improve the quality of water in Jordan. It treats wastewater released from the Zerqa river basin, which is part of the two populated cities of Greater Amman and Zerqa. The Zerqa river drains most of its polluted water into the King Talal Dam, which provides irrigation water for the Jordan Valley, causing significant environmental and health concerns.

The construction of As-Samra WWTP relieved most parts of Jordan by providing safe reuse of water for irrigation. It also eliminated the odours that were being released from the former WSP. As-Samra WWTP consists of a primary settling tank, eight aeration tanks, eight secondary settling tanks, four anaerobic sludge digesters, biogas and hydro-powered generators, and an odour control system. The aeration tanks, secondary settling tanks, and anaerobic sludge digesters tanks are all pre-stressed with the DYWIDAG Strand Tendons. The WWTP receives 80% of its electricity needs through the combination of hydraulic turbines and gas turbines powered by digestion biogas. The remaining 20% comes from the national grid.